Continuous insurance enforcement

As part of the Continuous Enforcement Legislation, it is an offence to be the keeper of a vehicle without insurance unless you have notified the DVLA that your vehicle is being kept off the road using a statutory off road notice (SORN).

Under the CIE scheme the DVLA work to continuously identify uninsured vehicles by systemativally comparing DVLA vehicle records against those held on the Motor Insurance Database.

The registered keeper of a vehicle that appears to be uninsured will be sent an Insurance Advisory Letter. This letter will advise them their vehicle appears to be uninsured and unless they take action they will receive a penalty from the DVLA. If after receiving an insurance advisory letter, a registered keeper fails to comply with the advice set out in the letter they will face:

• A fixed penalty notice of £100

• Their vehicle being clamped, SEIZED and disposed of

• A court prosecution and a maximum fine of £1000

CIE measures are in addition to the powers the police already have to seize an uninsured vehicle being used on the road.

Been caught driving uninsured, van seized and don’t know what to do next?

Make your first call and we’ll sort if all for you. Read our guide below.

First step: finding insurance

Insurance for an impounded van can be very difficult to find. Most insurers are unwilling to insure vehicles for this purpose and will often waste your time before telling you to go elsewere! Those insurers that do quote tend to offer an extortionate, unreasonable cost.

Comparison sites are the same too. You can spend hours visiting various sites, but beware that comparison sites don’t even ask the question: has your van been impounded. So this means you’ll have to call every insurer on their list to check. And the likelyhood is they can’t help.

You’re in luck though, here at we’re the nation’s specialists at getting cheap insurance to release seized vans. Whether you’re looking for a short term 30 day policy or one for a month, we can help.

Short term vs long term policies

Temporary insurance for 30 days is ideal if you just want to retrieve your van and then plan to sell it shortly. The cover is only third party but gives you what you need to reclaim it from the police impound. However if you would like fully comprehensive insurance we can also source you an annual policy. This means both your van and third party drivers are insured. Whilst at the same time, building up no claims bonus to get future insurance cheaper.

The quote process takes minutes and we can quickly email you a covernote to take to the police station to release your impounded van. We do all the hard work for you, so you simply need to ask a few quick questions then we’ll compare the market to find you the best price.

Being an FCA regulated company we will put your needs first and find you the most suitable policy to suit your circumstance. If you’ve got motor convictions or a poor track record, don’t worry we can still help. If you’re after impounded car insurance, try our sister site.